As Team GB celebrates winning 67 medals at the Rio Olympics, we thought it would be worth highlighting the role of postmasters in selling the Lottery tickets that helped support our athletes.
With the team being supported by £350 million backing from the Big Lottery fund, Post Offices have made a big contribution to this by selling around 3 million tickets a week.
And to mark Team GB’s achievement, postmaster Gungun Sehgal, whose Wallsend branch in North Tyneside is one of our best-performing branches for Lottery sales, has given her top tips for making Lottery a success.
- When there’s a rollover or mega draw make sure every customer knows what the jackpot is.
- If you’re giving change to a customer who’s come in to buy something, ask them if they want to try their luck on the Lottery with it.
- Always keep the point of sale up to date.
- Open a till dedicated to Lottery approaching the deadline for buying a ticket, so no one misses out.
- Smile when handing the ticket over and say “Hope it’s lucky for you”.