On Saturday 22 June, the 2019 Post Office Retail Awards saw more than 150 of our top performers being recognised in a special awards night to celebrate their success.
The awards evening, which this year took place in Birmingham, was all about recognising and rewarding the hard work, dedication, expertise and achievements of the people who run Post Offices of all sizes in cities, towns, villages and rural areas, all around the UK.
In her opening speech, Debbie Smith, CEO Retail, expressed our commitment to be Better for Postmasters and branches. She said: “We want to make it easier for you to run your Post Offices, supporting you more and rewarding and recognising you better for the work you do and the role you play in communities."
This year we introduced four new awards to recognise the wider role postmasters are playing in communities. The awards are Brand Champion, Community Retailer, Digital Engagement and Local Hero.
The event concluded with a standing ovation for the Local Hero Award winner, presented by Interim Chief Executive, Al Cameron. The award went to Carol and the team from Portishead, a McColls branch who saved a life when they realised that they had not seen or heard from a vulnerable customer for a few days and reported his absence to the police. The police were able to visit the customer at his address and discovered that he was in urgent need of medical treatment, ultimately saving his life.
Congratulations to all our finalists for the 2019 awards.
The event, hosted by Tess Daly, saw 19 awards given out throughout the night. The winners are…
- Best New Post Office Large: Finsbury Park, London
- Best New Post Office Small: Great North Road, Newcastle Upon Tyne
- Retailer Large: Newark, Nottingham
- Retailer Small: Caterways, West Sussex
- Retailer Multiple: Holywood Road, Belfast
- Customer Service: Plumstead High Street, London
- Brand Champion: Fortfield, Belfast
- Digital Engagement: Prestwick, Scotland
- Financial Services: Manchester Spring Gardens, Manchester
- Banking Services Large: Gainsborough, Lincolnshire
- Banking Services Small: Four Oaks, Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands
- Customer Relationship Manager (CRM): Ranvir Kang, Abbey Road branch, Smethwick, West Midlands
- Best Mails Large: Glasgow
- Best Mails Small: Martock, Somerset
- Travel Services Large: Epsom, Surrey
- Travel Services Small: Dunbar, Scotland
- DMB Team of the Year: Dunraven Place, Mid Glamorgan
- Community Retailer: Biggar, Lanarkshire
- Local Hero: Portishead, Bristol
We will share photos of the evening soon and will feature interviews with some of the winners on One in the coming weeks.