Last year, UK shoppers spent £1.4bn online on Black Friday – 11.7% more than the previous year. And the trend is set to grow as more brands are offering more opportunities for customers to save on longer, than ever with retailers like Amazon offering Black Friday deals from Friday 16 to Sunday 25 November.
In 2017 high street footfall was down 4.2 per cent from the previous year, so growth in sales has come through online channels. Research also shows us that one in three online orders for multi-channel retailers use a click and collect service, suggesting that online sales are likely to remain prominent across this year's Black Friday weekend. So there are great opportunities with collections and returns.
This year we have posters in branch promoting online returns as well as online advertising with Amazon, Yahoo and on search engines. We’ve also just launched printer-less returns which has already proved popular with customers and branches alike – making it even easier for customers to return those purchases that aren’t quite right.
Last year our busiest week for returns before Christmas was week 37 off the back of Black Friday, Local Collect volumes however continue to increase all the way up to Christmas. So here are some top tips for a booming Black Friday!
Returns top tips:
• Consider having a dedicated position to handle these transactions
• Make all your staff know about the new Labels to go solution and how it works
• Make sure you are ready to handle Returns in your branch quickly and all staff are clear on the correct process.
• Have you got enough staff making the customer journey as smooth as possible?
• Do you have adequate PFU69 Returns labels to hand?
Local Collect top tips:
• Make sure all your staff are up-to-date with the correct process for Local Collect and know where parcels are kept and how they are stored
• Make sure you have enough space in branch to store items
• Ensure that all staff know where parcels are kept
• Return items when due to be returned – use your status report to check
Have you identified all your marketplace sellers yet? Many of them will be getting involved with Black Friday and Cyber Monday promotions on eBay, Amazon and other marketplaces. By offering these customers a VIP service in branch through Drop & Go, you are not only helping with your own queue management, you’re also saving them time at one of their peak periods and helping their business succeed. For these customers, convenience and customer service is key, so get them signed up to Drop & Go today.
Both collections and returns can bring new customers into your branch, so make sure you give them the best customer experience possible to encourage them to come back again and again.