Black Friday is hugely important for UK retailers with sales revenue growth in 2018 up 7% on the previous year. However, following a difficult year for retailers, IMRG have said the growth is likely continue to slow this year predicting sales growth forecast down to 2%-3%.
That said, with customers spending £1.49bn online on the day itself last year and sales continuing to shift to online channels, Black Friday still presents huge opportunities for us with increased volume of parcel sales, collections and returns.
According to research, 49% of shoppers prefer to return items with Royal Mail via Post Office and we continue to be the most commonly used returns channel. What’s more, labels-to-go has proven popular with shoppers, now accounting for 15% of tracked returns volumes – making it even easier for customers to return those purchases that aren’t quite right.
Getting ready for our busiest week
Last year our busiest day of the year for returns was 3 December, so with Black Friday falling on 29 November this year we expect the busiest returns day to be on the 9 December - which will also be our busiest week of year overall – so it’s even more important to make sure you and your teams are prepared.
Local Collect volumes do see an uplift after Black Friday but they continue to increase with the biggest week being the one directly before Christmas.
Both collections and returns can bring in new customers, who want a quick and professional service, so make sure you given them the best customer experience possible to encourage them to come back again and again.
Optimise your returns and local collect volumes
- Make sure you are ready to handle Returns in your branch quickly and all staff are clear on the correct process and make sure all your staff know about how Labels-to-go works
- Have you got enough staff making the customer journey as smooth as possible?
- Do you have adequate PFU69 Returns labels to hand?
- Make sure all your staff are up to date with the correct process for Local Collect and know where parcels are kept and how they are stored
- Make sure you have enough space in branch to store items
- Return local collect items when due to be returned – use your status report to check
A VIP service for Market place sellers
Have you identified all your online sellers yet? Many of them will be getting involved with Black Friday and Cyber Monday promotions on eBay, Amazon and other marketplaces. By offering these customers a VIP service in branch through Drop & Go, you are not only helping with your own queue management, you’re also saving them time at one of their peak periods and helping their business succeed. For these customers convenience and customer service is key, so get them signed up to Drop & Go today.